This is by no means an exhaustive list, but here are a few tips worth remembering:
- Use different passwords for each of your online accounts and remember to change these passwords on a regular basis. Don’t reveal your passwords to other people
- Don’t put personal details (such as your address, your school or your mobile number) online
- Before you post any pictures, think carefully about whether you are happy for people to see them. Even if you delete them, someone could already have downloaded them and shared them with others
- Block and report any users who send you nasty messages on social networking sites
- Don’t download or forward any images or messages that are upsetting or inappropriate. Instead, you should report them to your ISP or the website you are using.
- Don’t open messages or download files from places or people you are unsure of. They could contain a virus.
- Regularly check your privacy settings on social networking sites such as Facebook and twitter.