Recently published guidance on the standards for teachers’ professional guidance states that ‘effective professional development for teachers is a core part of securing effective teaching’.
The guidance recognises that not all professional development provided to teachers is equally effective and that professional development could be key to other issues such as staff wellbeing, recruitment and retention, and school improvement.
According to the guidance, CPD provision should adhere to the following standards:
1. Professional development should have a focus on improving and evaluating pupil outcomes.
2. Professional development should be underpinned by robust evidence and expertise.
3. Professional development should include collaboration and expert challenge.
4. Professional development programmes should be sustained over time.
And all this is underpinned by, and requires that:
5. Professional development must be prioritised by school leadership.