If you work in a school or education setting how can you be sure that all the necessary safeguarding requirements are being fulfilled? Assured Safeguarding Leaders in schools and early years settings, a booklet produced in the East Midlands by safeguarding leads and the Strategic Health Authority, poses questions to help leaders to reflect on how they know whether their management procedures assure them that children are being kept safe. Questions for Head teachers & leaders include:
- How do I know that all staff give priority to keeping children safe and feeling safe?
- Am I confident that policy and procedures follow the Local Safeguarding Children Board and Local Authority guidance and when were they last updated?
- What do I do to ensure we are working well with other agencies?
- How do I make sure that relationships with parents and carers help us to keep children safe?
- Do I have a clear, robust communication policy and procedures for staff, pupils, parents and carers?
- How do I ensure that all staff checks have been carried out?
- What processes do I have in place for the early identification of vulnerable children and young people?
- Do I know that all staff have received the appropriate level of training?
- How do I know that this training is helping to keep children safe?
- What do I do to help staff understand that safeguarding is our core business?
The ChildProtectionCompany.com provides a wealth of resources for schools and educational settings to enable safeguarding responsibilities to be fulfilled. These resources include: