The NSPCC’s comprehensive overview of child protection in the UK, How Safe are our Children 2016, shows the highest number of recorded sexual offences against children in a decade. The report compiles and analyses child protection data across the 4 nations of the UK for 2016.
Key findings include:
- In the last year, the number of recorded sexual offences against children have increased in all 4 countries in the UK
- The number of recorded cruelty and neglect offences in the last year have increased in Wales and England
- There has been an increase in the number of reports of online abuse
- There has been a rise in the number of ChildLine counselling sessions about sexting and online bullying
- An increased number of URLs containing child abuse images have been identified and removed from the Internet
- There has been an increase in the number of recorded obscene publication offences
The report can be accessed here.